Wednesday 4 April 2012

Winds of Change

On the winds of change floats the promise of spring. April: a time for cleaning out the closets, folding away the winter woolies and sweeping away the cobwebs. A time to feel reborn, re-motivated, filled with purpose... or so I am telling myself as I fold away my heavy dark coloured apparel of the last few months, into the storage box, out of which I'd unpacked the fresh, pastel, floral ensembles for the Summer. A quarter of the way through the year already!


2012 is set to be an important year for Great Britain, as we keep being told. Living close to Stratford over the last nine years, it has been exciting watching the Olympic Park spring up from what was merely derelict-looking industrial buildings. So I was thrilled to be part of it's first public event, hosted last Sunday. The test event was organised by the Gold Challenge, a charity challenge where you are encouraged to take on Olympic sports and Paralympic sports to raise money for your charity of choice. Schools and organisations from across Great Britain participated in the charity races along with sporting legends such as Austin Healey, Gareth Thomas, Mike Catt, Dame Mary Peters and I think I even heard Fatima Whitbread's name mentioned too! Combine this with entertainment from Dionne Bromfield, Paul Potts, Spellbound and, interestingly, a talented upcoming group called The Boxettes, who use only their voices to create their songs - no instruments and no effects - and you'll get a picture of what a memorable day it was. Sitting with my husband inside the stadium alongside all the other families, I was emotionally ambushed with an overwhelming sense of pride and love for the children involved, some as young as four, able bodied and disabled, each relishing this opportunity to compete in front of thousands of people inside this huge stadium. Kids whose only other experience of racing was during a school sports day infront of their mums and dads, rising to the challenge. Their excitement and joy was infectious and I found myself being swept up by the fervour of the London 2012 Olympic Games. The commentator announcing that, "Dreams will be made here this Summer".
Watching the endless stream of schools during the parade, I became a little nostalgic... It's now ten years since I was in my final year of school. Savouring the Easter holidays before the onslaught of 'A' Level exams. Although, at that time, the pressure had been eased for me as I had just received my letter of acceptance from The Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts, offering me a full scholarship... my dreams were being made!
As I reflect upon my school days, I think I knew even at the time that they were special days, shared with the very best of friends in a setting straight out of a fictional novel. Standing sentinel on the top of a hill overlooking the town of Leek is Westwood High School, a converted 19th century manor house, originally home to a famous Stoke-on-Trent potter family, The Davenports, who are said to have built over an existing house belonging to one of Henry VIII's favourite Knights. The historical prowess of the school and it's grounds radiates from the very foundations. I definitely feel privileged to have been a part of its alumni and being educated by such a passionate and inspiring teaching faculty. The most valuable lesson I learned there, however, was to be myself, and although sometimes other people can make this difficult, I think fundamentally my actions are based on being true to myself and true to my morals. 
I am by no means morose as I look back at this period in my life. To the contrary, it's with comfort that I remember the optimism and excitement which I felt as an 18 year old about the next stage of life's journey. I have not achieved all that I hoped I would in the last decade, but I know that the achievements I have made are no small feat. To be true to myself, I will continue to achieve for as long as I have the dreams to fulfil. Looking at those inspiring kids on Sunday, bursting with life, ambition and the joys of spring reminds me that we all have our own dreams, be they great or small, all just as important in their own way. For a man without dreams is like a bird without wings. So, with this change of the wind, breathe in the scent of possibility and turn your dreams into reality. All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them (Walt Disney).


No comments:

Post a Comment