Wednesday 18 April 2012

Take Action

I have been taking matters into my own hands this week! I have decided to produce my own show, starring... myself! I know, this may seem rather self-obsessed but I promise this is not the angle I am coming from. I refuse to let my destiny be decided upon other peoples opinions, and if I am not going to get that break from anybody else, then I will give myself the break. 'Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you' (Ralph Waldo Emerson). 


The show will contain songs I enjoy listening to and which I think an audience would enjoy too! Recently, I've not worked on the kind of material I think I am naturally inclined to perform. So, I've decided to do something different and follow my heart, working on music which is absolutely floating my boat at this moment in time.


Speaking of boats... It's my experience over the last year singing on board The London Showboat which is giving me a new-found freedom and confidence in myself. I completely and unabashedly love to perform and have developed a new kind of satisfaction in the reaction of an audience. My previous work has always been within a set piece, where an audience reaction has little impact upon what is actually happening on stage. Obviously all performances rely upon how an audience reacts but there is something about performing in cabaret which enables you to be more intimate with an audience, building a rapport, judging what they are reacting to. Working alone, gives me the freedom to make on-the-spot decisions on what pieces to perform next,  depending on their reaction. I thoroughly enjoy being able to create the banter! After the shows, I do have to question whether I should really be having this much fun, but that's what being a performer is all about. It's not the kind of job you can do half heartedly, you've got to do it because you love it! I think the beautiful setting, cruising along The River Thames does help to bewitch the evening, making the whole experience feel like something very special.


So, it's with this addiction to the enjoyment of an audience and noting what really goes down well on the Showboat that my one-woman show began to take shape. With the help of an equally enthusiastic and creative musician, we are pulling together some really interesting pieces. With our motive being to create something entertaining, uplifting and contemporary, we have been re-working the iconic music of singers such as Adele, Rihanna, Lady Gaga and Kylie, as well as legends like Dusty Springfield and Shirley Bassey. It feels really exciting to be working on something different which I hope will showcase the performer I have been developing into whilst hosting my own shows. For more information please visit my website, which also contains details on how you can wine, dine and dance the night away with City Cruises.


So much of the entertainment industry relies upon who you know and not what you know, and sometimes when you think you are making head way you realise that other people have a hidden agenda. Therefore, I suggest making your own agenda. With this being such a competitive environment, you need to be sure of who you are. Don't let anyone lead you to believe you're not good enough, your belief determines your action, your action determines your results, but first you have to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment