Wednesday 11 April 2012

Pie in the Sky

The highlight of my week (or maybe my year) was getting to see Jonathan Kent's production of Sweeney Todd at The Adelphi theatre. Oh my goodness! 


Sweeney Todd is right up there as one of my favourite musicals of all time. I have seen numerous versions live and recorded, including John Doyle's 2004 revival at The Ambassadors, where the 10 strong cast also played the score themselves on instruments incorporated in the staging! I was sceptical about Michael Ball playing the demon barber; my impression of him is the loveable cheeky chappy, but he was absolutely mind blowing. I was bowled over by the power and strength with which he sang the role... I now realise I'd never fully heard Sweeney Todd's agonising laments until last week. And he was so butch! I had high expectations of Imelda Staunton, being a huge admirer of her as an actress, yet she still overwhelmed me with how skilfully she made Mrs Lovett her own, delivering Sondheim's human pie witticisms during 'A Little Priest' as if it were the first time I'd heard them. I thought the whole production had real grit to it, bringing out the the disturbingly dark themes like no other version I'd previously seen. I think it's exciting when musical theatre successfully branches out from it's stereotypical 'razzle dazzle' and delivers instead a poignant, dark piece of intelligent theatre with fortitude. Stephen Sondheim is the master! It was with delight (and a touch of envy) that I sat in the gods as the chorus raised its voice for 'The Ballad Of Sweeney Todd'. What I wouldn't give to have the opportunity to sing such powerful music on a West End stage... 


Although, maybe not this week. 


My blog is to be dictated a little by the frustrating week I've had in general!


Finally, with better weather and lighter evenings comes a more regular London Showboat. I sing onboard the Showboat a few times a week as the main entertainment on a three hour evening dinner cruise along The River Thames. I'd been looking forward to a busy week of shows for the Easter break, only to be struck down by laryngitis and rendered completely incapable of singing. This has never happened to me before (I am generally one of those annoying people who is rarely effected by illness) and I have to say, I was really perturbed! I couldn't make a squeak let alone belt out a rendition of 'All That Jazz'. Losing my voice made me realise that I completely, 100%, rely on being able to sing to earn my living, and there is nothing else that comes close to being a secondary career option. I did have to accept that I needed someone to cover the shows - another first for me. It was a weird feeling having someone act as 'understudy' - at first I felt extremely grateful that I didn't have to worry about what would happen with the show, but then came the anxiety of having someone else doing my show and acknowledging that I am replaceable!


Being replaceable is obviously not the greatest of feelings, but the realisation of it does make me feel grateful for the work that I have got and the opportunities that people have given to me in the past, when they might have chosen somebody else. This weeks debilitation has also inspired me to come back fighting. Singing is what I love, it's my life and I most definitely can't imagine myself doing anything else for a living at this moment in time. Sometimes I lose sight of this amongst the constant CV mail-outs, casting submissions and rejections, but as the saying goes, I will not let them grind me down. I've worked so hard and I know that I have what it takes to perform in a show (like Sweeney Todd) on a West End stage... I have to be in the right place at the right time at some point in my career!


It's hard to take the knock-backs time and time again, but focus on the things you are achieving and keep striving to be better - don't let anyone convince you that your dreams are pie-in-the-sky (particularly not Mrs Lovett's!). You may be replaceable in certain areas of your life, but by being the best that you can be, you can make it difficult for anyone to find a the right replacement!

No comments:

Post a Comment