Wednesday 14 March 2012

Nothing is for Nothing

This week I am heading out to my favourite London Theatre, The Menier Chocolate Factory. What makes me love this fringe theatre so much is the energy which pulses through its very foundations, threatening that anything is possible.The dusky smell of the place when I walk through the doors fills me with excitement and anticipation. Every production is distinctly unique, transforming the box-like space sublimely to accommodate whichever theatrical genre they have decided to host. From the elegant simplicity of the first production I saw there, Jason Robert Brown's The Last Five Years to the most recent, high-tech computer games/ matrix infused revival of Stephen Schwartz's Pippin. There never seems to be any boundaries.


So, tonight I anticipate walking in to a carefully constructed and suitably gaudy 1970's lounge/ diner for their revival of Mike Leigh's highly acclaimed Abigail's Party starring Jill Halfpenny. It's a play that holds fond memories for me, sitting with my family, giggling and crying in equal measures at the comical larger-than-life yet deeply tragic characters portrayed.


A few years ago, I signed up for the Menier's first musical theatre course, aimed at professionals looking for guidance from those at the top of their game. For me, the opportunity to experience the theatre from the inside was a chance not to be missed, whilst also entertaining the idea that this could lead to a lucky break...


The course was as inspiring as I'd hoped but I did come away feeling a little disappointed at the lack of opportunity for me to be an individual performer, rather than a group of people on a course, and the ultimate realisation that I was unlikely to get any career advancement out of it. Over the years I have experienced numerous instances like this, doing everything in my power to put myself into situations where I can get noticed and yet failing to be noticed. It's so easy to become disheartened and begin wondering, "what is the point?".


However, deep down I know that there most definitely is a point. Nothing is for nothing! By putting yourself out there and at least trying, you are proclaiming your own self worth and self belief, automatically putting yourself in the right mind set to achieve.


Needless to say, completely indirectly, following on from the course I auditioned to be part of The Brick Lane Music Hall Rep company where I have been given fantastic opportunities to do what I love to do, perform.



1 comment:

  1. Great post! I love the idea that nothing is for nothing. Sometimes, it is difficult to see the reasons for being in a particular place at a particular time but everything becomes clear in hindsight.
    Lovely. :-)

    ReplyDelete